21 November 2005

new-found respect for Joe Scarborough

Never ever ever ever thought I'd say this, but Joe Scarborough actually might be an OK guy (sort of). I've always considered Joe to be a self-interested, partisan, one-track thinker, who often looked to argue just for the sake of arguing. But after reading his post this morning on Robert F. Kennedy (yesterday was RFK's birthday), I've found myself reconsidering some of that...
The last two years of Bobby’s existence were consumed by the prospect of bringing light to the darkest corners of our world. Whether in America or South Africa, Bobby Kennedy always questioned initial assumptions and never stopped asking “Why not?” In fact, RFK rarely backed away from any challenge. He was a liberal, but he was also a tough-as-nails politician who never feared political death. Now I look at those who followed in his path as Democratic leaders and have to shake my head in shame.
Ironically (doubly ironic actually) and equally unfortunate for the credibility of his position, Joe blathers on into his own tirade, and just can't seem to hold himself back from throwing unnecessary partisan jabs. But hey, he tried.