14 February 2006

begala weighs in on Cheney's trigger finger

at TPMCafe, and make some very good points: As a guy whose been hunting in South Texas for 30 years, and who's been hunting three times in the past six weeks, I cringe at the Washington Post's use of the benign verb "sprayed" in the lede of the Cheney hunting accident story. When you hit a man with a 28 gauge (likely 7 and a half shot) and land him in intensive care, you have not "sprayed" him. You've shot him. ~ In sum, even from Ms. Armstrong's whitewashed account, it sounds to me like Cheney was not being safe.

To quote Mary Matalin to vouch for Cheney's safety, as the Post does, is absurd. I love Mary - she's married to my best friend. But she was 1500 miles away, drinking a fine Rhone, no doubt. And I daresay she's never been hunting in her life. And yet the Post quotes her reassuring us that Cheney "was not careless or incautious.". Baloney. That's like quoting me on Mrs. Bush's inaugural ball gown.

No comments: