15 September 2005

The book is surely better

But until then, this review of Anthony Shalid's new book on Iraq will have to suffice: LINK Worth sitting through the little ads for. The book seems to be a rare opportunity to see this war through Iraqi eyes, and touches on details even a serial sympathizer like myself never considered. Thoughtful and eye-opening stuff. (Anyone else subscribe to Salon.com? I did for years at something like $3/month.....nothing really, but when the bill came the other day for $35/year, it no longer seemed so crucial. A trick I learned in my days at the University of Geneva was to put things in terms of cheap food - is a year of Salon.com worth 250 packs of Top Ramen? 400 cans of Select soda? All the sudden King Kaufman's sports column doesn't seem as valuable. Anyway, now I see that the whole site can be read by sitting through short ads......I can have my Ramen and eat it too. Sorry Salon.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

$3/month x 12 months/year = $36/year

You didn't like the dollar discount?

Anonymous said...

The University of Geneva apparently doesn't teach math... Makes me wonder how off the counts for Select Soda and Top Ramen are.

Anonymous said...

ha ha...

Watch out, kid. King Kaufman just referred to your post with a direct link. "All the sudden" your hit count's going to go up.

--A Salon.com Subscriber

Anonymous said...

I was drawn here from Salon wondering why someone who calls himself 'Dr.' can't figure out that $36 is less than $35.

I have a whole new outlook on graduate education now.

NOIP said...

I'm quite certain that the good Dr. Von Hayes knows that $36 > $35. But hey, maybe not... he might have gotten his education in Texas. :)