19 January 2005

BINGO

Sorry no blogging lately... but I have a feeling that's about to change a lot as we move into George's 2nd term as Warmonger in Chief. This piece [President of Fabricated Crises] from the Washington Post is about a week old... and I just got a chance to read it. What a homerun! It focuses on the current assault on Social Security and how it fits into the larger picture of contemporary Republican governance. If you're interested in following this more closely, I highly recommend keeping an eye on Josh Marshall, who has the market cornered on saving Social Security from the fear-mongering ideologues who want it to die a slow death. In the end I don't expect them to be successful, but then again I didn't think there was a snowball's chance in hell that Bush would beat Kerry either, and that didn't pan out. But I'm not alone in this belief... as Senate and House members work to buttress their case either for or against the President's proposals, many are seeing that the solvency of Social Security is real, and that the politics of fear and ideology are guiding this. I hope for my sake and the sake of my (yet to be born) children that rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater, they instead find a way to ensure that future generations of Americans are able to yield the benefits that Social Security's creators intended. I don't want to work until I'm dead... and I don't want my retirement funds subjected to Wall Street's propensity for rewarding greed and fraud. I refuse to invest my retirement funds so that George and his pals can fatten the wallets of Wall Street's fund managers. You should refuse this risk also. Email your representative and let them know how you feel.

No comments: